[NEW] PolyU Presidential PhD Fellowship Scheme is open for application! Applicants should hold a PhD offer from a top-tier oversea univeristy and awardees are able to start their PhD studies in 2021 fall. If you cannot go abroad physically and are interested in joining my research team (PolyU SMART Lab) instead, please drop an email with the CV and the offer letter.
[NEW] One paper is accepted in NAACL 2021! Congrats to Lu and her supervisor Prof. Zhongyu Wei!
One paper is accepted in SLT 2021! Congrats to Zexin!
One paper is accepted in COLING 2020! Congrats to Lei and her supervisor Prof. Zhongyu Wei!
My former research intern (in Tencent AI Lab) and collaborator Yue Wang past his PhD viva! Congrats to Yue and his supervisor Prof. Michael Lyu and Prof. Irwin King!
Our research project is funded by CCF-Tencent Rhino-Bird Young Faculty Open Research Fund!
Our research project is funded by NSFC (Young Scientists Fund)!
Three papers are accepted in EMNLP 2020 (2 long paper and 1 short paper, all in main conference)! Congrats to Lingzhi, Yue, Keyang, and Yuji!
Dr. Jing Li is an Assistant Professor of the Department of Computing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) since 2019. She is a member of Data Science and AI Lab (DaSAIL) of Department of Computing and the COMP representative for Doctor of Applied Language Sciences Programme (DALS). Before joining PolyU, she worked in the Natural Language Processing Center, Tencent AI Lab as a senior researcher from 2017 to 2019. Jing obtained her PhD degree from the Department of Systems Engineering and Engineering Management, The Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2017 under supervision of Professor Kam-Fai Wong. Before that, she received her B.S. degree from Department of Machine Intelligence, Peking University in 2013. Jing has broad research interests on natural language processing, social computing, and machine learning. Particularly, she works on novel algorithms for topic modeling, information extraction, discourse analysis, and their applications on social interaction understanding. To know more about my research lab, feel free to visit PolyU SMART Lab.
- Topic Modeling
- Information Extraction
- Discourse Analysis
- Natural Language Processing for Social Media
- Jan 2021 - Dec 2021: Comment-Aware Weakly-Supervised Classification for Social Media Texts. CCF-Tencent Rhino-Bird Young Faculty Open Research Fund as PI.
- Jan 2021 - Dec 2023: Characterize, Detect, and Neutralize: Context-Aware Computational Methods for Media Bias on Social Platforms. NSFC (Young Scientists Fund) as PI.
- Dec 2020 - Dec 2021: Checking Privacy Compliance of Mobile Apps via Synthesizing NLP and Program Analysis. Collaboration Project with Huawei as Co-I with PI Dr. Xiapu Luo and Co-I Dr. Lei Xue.
- June 2020 - Sep 2021: Vision, Language and Graphics (VLG) Group: An AI Driven Platform for Smart Living. PolyU Internal Fund as Co-PI with Rep. Co-PI Prof. Jane You and Co-PI Dr. Maggie Wenjie Li.
- Oct 2019 - Sep 2022: Discourse Parsing for Online Conversations. PolyU Internal Fund as PI.
- Lu Ji, Zhongyu Wei, Jing Li, Qi Zhang, and Xuanjing Huang
Discrete Argument Representation Learning for Interactive Argument Pair Identification
- Lei Chen, Zhongyu Wei, Jing Li, Baohua Zhou, Qi Zhang, and Xuanjing Huang
Modeling Evolution of Message Interaction for Rumor Resolution [Code]
- Keyang Ding, Jing Li, and Yuji Zhang.
Hashtags, Emotions, and Comments: A Large-Scale Dataset to Understand Find-Grained Social Emotions to Online Topics [Data]
- Lingzhi Wang, Jing Li, Xingshan Zeng, Haisong Zhang, and Kam-Fai Wong.
Continuity of Topic, Interaction, and Query: Learning to Quote in Online Conversations
- Yue Wang, Jing Li, Michael R. Lyu, and Irwin King.
Cross-Media Keyphrase Prediction: A Unified Framework with Multi-Modality Multi-Head Attention and Image Wordings [Code and Data]
- Xingshan Zeng, Jing Li, Lu Wang, Zhiming Mao, and Kam-Fai Wong.
Dynamic Online Conversation Recommendation [Code and Data]
- Jichuan Zeng, Jing Li, Yulan He, Cuiyun Gao, Michael R. Lyu, and Irwin King.
What Changed Your Mind: The Roles of Dynamic Topics and Discourse in Argumentation Process [Code and Data]
- Ming Liao, Jing Li, Haisong Zhang, Lingzhi Wang, Xixin Wu, and Kam-Fai Wong.
Coupling Global and Local Context for Unsupervised Aspect Extraction
- Xingshan Zeng, Jing Li, Lu Wang, and Kam-Fai Wong.
Neural Conversation Recommendation with Online Interaction Modeling [Code and Data]
- Yue Wang, Jing Li, Hou Pong Chan, Irwin King, Michael R. Lyu, and Shuming Shi.
Topic-Aware Neural Keyphrase Generation for Social Media Language
[Code and Data]
- Xingshan Zeng, Jing Li, Lu Wang, and Kam-Fai Wong.
Joint Effects of Context and User History for Predicting Online Conversation Re-entries
[Code and Data]
- Yue Wang, Jing Li, Irwin King, Michael R. Lyu, and Shuming Shi.
Microblog Hashtag Generation via Encoding Conversation Contexts
- Jichuan Zeng, Jing Li, Yulan He, Cuiyun Gao, Michael R. Lyu, and Irwin King
What You Say and How You Say it: Joint Modeling of Topics and Discourse in Microblog Conversations [Code and Data]
TACL 2019 (presented in ACL 2019).
- Jing Li, Yan Song, Zhongyu Wei, and Kam-Fai Wong
A Joint Model of Conversational Discourse and Latent Topics on Microblogs
CL 2018. (Volume 44, Issue 4)
- Jichuan Zeng, Jing Li, Yan Song, Cuiyun Gao, Michael R. Lyu, and Irwin King
Topic Memory Networks for Short Text Classification [Code]
- Dingmin Wang, Yan Song, Jing Li, Jialong Han, and Haisong Zhang
A Hybrid Approach to Automatic Corpus Generation for Chinese Spelling Check [Code and Data]
- Xingshan Zeng, Jing Li, Lu Wang, Nicholas Beauchamp, Sarah Schugars, and Kam-Fai Wong
Microblog Conversation Recommendation via Joint Modeling of Topics and Discourse
- Yingyi Zhang, Jing Li, Yan Song, and Chengzhi Zhang
Encoding Conversation Context for Neural Keyphrase Extraction from Microblog Posts
- Jing Li
Microblog Summarization Using Conversation Structures
PhD thesis. 2017
- Jing Li, Ming Liao, Wei Gao, Yulan He, and Kam-Fai Wong
Topic Extraction from Microblog Posts Using Conversation Structures [Data] [Code]
- Jing Li, Wei Gao, Zhongyu Wei, Baolin Peng, and Kam-Fai Wong
Using Content-level Structures for Summarizing Microblog Repost Trees [Data]
Organization Committee Member:
Programme Committee Member (including area chairs and senior members):
- Visiting PhD at Aston University, Birmingham, UK, Jan - Apr, 2016, Supervisor: Prof. Yulan He (Now in University of Warwick.)
- Visiting Scientist at Northeastern University, Boston, USA, Feb - May, 2017, Host: Prof. Lu Wang (Now in University of Michigan.)
- 2021: ACL (area chair for NLP Applications), IJCAI (senior member), CCL (area chair for summarization and generation), AAAI, EACL, and NAACL
- 2020: AAAI, ACL, and ICONIP (senior member)
- 2019: ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, and AAAI
- 2018: ACL and EMNLP (Best reviewer award in EMNLP 2018)
- 2017: EACL and EMNLP
- 2016: EMNLP
- 2015: EMNLP
- Spring 2021: [FH 6051] Computational Linguistics (co-teaching with Prof. Chu-Ren Huang)
- Spring 2021: [COMP 5511] Artifical Intelligence Concepts.
- Spring 2021: [COMP 1433] Introduction to Data Analytics.
- Spring 2020: [COMP 1433] Introduction to Data Analytics.
- Autumn 2019: [COMP 6701] Advanced Topics in Computer Algorithms (co-teaching with Dr. Jesper Jansson)
- Autumn 2019: [COMP 4122] Game Design and Development (co-teaching with Dr. Ping Li)
Research Students and Staffs in PolyU (we form SMART Lab together!):
Alumni in PolyU:
- Yuji Zhang, PhD student. Aug 2020-now. Focusing on social media hashtag recommendation. Publication: EMNLP 2020. Co-supervisor: Dr. Maggie Wenjie Li.
- Zexin Lu, PhD student. Oct 2019-now. Focusing on online user engagement modeling. Publication: SLT 2021. Co-supervisor: Prof. Qing Li.
- Chunpu Xu, PhD student. To start in Sep 2021 (now a RA). Focusing on multimodality learning on social media. Co-supervisor: Dr. Xiapu Luo.
- Yibing Liu, Research Asisstant. Apr 2021 - present. Focusing on privacy document analysis.
- Keyang Ding, Research Assistant. Apr 2021 - present. Focusing on emotion analysis on social media. Master Thesis: Hashtags, Emotions, and Comments: A Large-Scale Dataset to Understand Fine-Grained Social Emotions to Online Topics. Publication: EMNLP 2020.
- Xiaoxin Lu, Master student. Jan 2021-now. Focusing on doctor recommendation on medical forums.
- Jiarong Yang, Master student. Jan 2021-now. Focusing on fake news detection on social media.
- Yuxuan Zhu, Master student. Jan 2021-now. Focusing on COVID-19 event analysis on Twitter.
- Yubo Zhang, Undergraduate student. Aug 2020-now. Focusing on doctor recommendation on medical forums.
- Zhe Wang, Undergraduate student. Aug 2020-now. Focusing on privacy document analysis.
- Bing Wang, Visiting PhD student from University of Oxford. Focusing on computer vision. Mar 2021 - present.
Intern Students in Tencent:
- Junfeng Jiang, Master student. Oct 2019-Mar 2021. Thesis: Online Medical-consultation Recommendation System with Topic Model.
- Hongliang Sun, Master student. Oct 2019-Mar 2021. Thesis: Domain-Specific Language Model Continue Pretraining for Chinese Weibo.
- Jiancheng Wen, Research Assistant. Aug 2020-Feb 2021. Focusing on multimodality learning.
Other Student Collaborators
- Yingyi Zhang, PhD student from Nanjing University of Science and Technology. Oct 2017 - May 2018. Focusing on keyphrase extraction: NAACL 2018 and JASIST 2019. Now a visiting PhD in University of Pittsburgh.
- Jichuan Zeng, PhD student from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Dec 2017 - Aug 2019. Focusing on topic modeling: EMNLP 2018 , TACL 2019, and WWW 2020. Obtained PhD degree in 2019 and now a senior research engineer at ByteDance.
- Yue Wang, PhD student from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. May 2018 - Aug 2019. Focusing on keyphrase generation: NAACL 2019, ACL 2019, and EMNLP 2020. Obtained PhD degree in 2020.
- Ming Liao, PhD student from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Oct 2018 - Aug 2019. Focusing on sentiment analysis: EMNLP 2019.
- Lu Ji, Master student from Fudan University. Apr - Aug 2019. Focusing on conversation discourse analysis: NAACL 2021. Tencent Rhino-Bird Elite Training Program. Graduated in June 2020 and now in Pinduoduo as a research engineer.
- Xiaoxue Liu, Master student from Nanjing University. May - Sep 2018. Focusing on event detection. Graduated in June 2019 and now in Tencent as a research engineer.
- Xingshan Zeng, PhD student from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Focusing on conversation recommendation: NAACL 2018, ACL 2019, EMNLP 2019, and ACL 2020. Obtained PhD degree 2020 and now in Huawei Noah's ark lab as a researcher.
- Lingzhi Wang, PhD student from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Focusing on user behavior analysis in social media conversations: EMNLP 2020.
- Luyang Lin, PhD student from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Focusing on media bias on social media.
- Lei Chen, master student from Fudan University. Focusing on rumor detection. COLING 2020.