|Man Lung YIU
Department of Computing
Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Hung Hom, Kowloon
Tel: +852 2766 7246
E-mail: csmlyiu AT comp DOT polyu DOT edu DOT hk
I received the Bachelor Degree in Computer Engineering
from the University of Hong Kong in 2002
NEW: one PhD position is available
and the PhD Degree in Computer Science
from the University of Hong Kong in 2006.
Prior to returning to Hong Kong, I have worked at Aalborg University for three years.
I am a member of database research group.
To PhD applicants:
please follow the procedure stated
I do not reply to any unsolicited email.
Databases, in particular query processing techniques for spatiotemporal data and multi-dimensional data
- Bo TANG (PhD graduated in 2017, now Assistant Professor @ Southern University of Science and Technology)
- Yu LI (PhD graduated in 2015)
- Takazumi MATSUMOTO (PhD graduated in 2015, previously Dr. Edward Hung's student, now Postdoc @ Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University)
- Pui Hang LI (MPhil graduated in 2015, now Analyst Programmer @ Qualicom Innovations Asia Ltd.)
- Jeppe Rishede THOMSEN (PhD graduated in 2015)
- Jianguo WANG (MPhil graduated in 2013, now PhD candidate @ UC San Diego)
- Efficient Spatial Data Management for Crowdsourced Transportation (PI, Hong Kong GRF 152196/16E, 2017-2019)
- Leveraging Modern CPUs for Efficient Query Processing on Time Series Data (PI, Hong Kong GRF 152043/15E, 2016-2018)
- Scalable Retrieval Techniques for Massive High-Dimensional Data (PI, Hong Kong GRF 152201/14E, 2015-2017)
- Automatic Performance Tuning of Spatial Indexes for Dynamic Workloads in Spatial Databases (PI, Hong Kong GRF 5302/12E, 2013-2015)
- Trustworthy Processing of Shortest Path Queries Over Online Road Network Databases (PI, Hong Kong GRF 5333/10E, 2010-2013)
Reviewer for journals
Program committee memberships
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (IEEE TKDE)
- Very Large Data Base Journal (VLDBJ)
- ACM Transactions on Database Systems (ACM TODS)
- Information Systems (Inf. Syst.)
- International Conference on Extending Database Technology
- ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems
(ACM SIGSPATIAL 2017,
2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011)
- International Conference on Mobile Data Management
2016, 2013, 2012)
- International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications
2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011)
- ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management
2015, 2014, 2009, 2008)
- International Conference on Data Engineering
2014, 2013, 2010)
- International Symposium on Spatial and Temporal Databases
2013, 2011, 2007)
- International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management
- ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data
- International Conference on Very Large Data Bases
PC Co-Chair of International Workshop on Mobile Data Analytics
Publicity Chair of International Conference on Mobile Data Management
Publication Chair of International ACM Workshop on Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access
Web Chair of International Symposium on Spatial and Temporal Databases
COMP3021. Programming Language Paradigms: Spring 2017.
COMP5151. Advanced Database Systems: Spring 2017, Spring 2016, Spring 2015, Spring 2010.
COMP3011. Design and Analysis of Algorithms: Fall 2016, Fall 2015.
COMP6831. Advanced Topics in Computer Algorithms: Fall 2015.
COMP327. Data Structures and Algorithms II: Fall 2014, Fall 2013, Fall 2012, Fall 2011, Fall 2010.
COMP5324. Internet Information Retrieval: Fall 2014.
COMP328. Programming Languages: Theory and Applications: Spring 2014, Spring 2013, Spring 2012, Spring 2011.
COMP433. Information Retrieval: Summer 2013.
COMP305P. Data Structures and Algorithms: Fall 2012, Spring 2012.
COMP306. Software Engineering and User Interfaces: Fall 2009.